Monday, October 27, 2008

If I Were a Superhero I Would be... The Procrastinator!

Saving people in just the nick of time!  Geez I'm lame.  

So, it's been what?  Almost a month now since I visited Beijing???  

Yeah, so clearly I've put off this blog post because there is sooooo much to write!  And I do have a job, and some semblance of a life here.  (Okay, not really.  I just get massages and watch dollar DVDs in my apartment...)

Seriously, the trip to Beijing was fantastic!  I saw so many amazing things, as you can see in the many slideshows running along side of this post!  

Our driver and guide were wonderful.  Steven, our guide, was so knowledgeable and spoke beautiful English.  The driver, Johnson, just kept us in stitches with the jokes he would make about Steven, pretending to drive off without him, and singing traditional Chinese songs.

The Great Wall was simply that, GREAT.  In the full sense of the word.  It is definitely something to behold, and I was so thankful that the weather was absolutely perfect that day.  While it really just becomes miles and miles of the same thing after a while, it is a place I could stay at all day.  The view of the mountains with the seemingly endless wall is just breathtaking.

The Ming Tombs, Tian'an Men Square, and the Summer Palace were all a delight as well.  However, the weather didn't hold out so well for our day at the latter two.

The Lao She Teahouse was a must see, and I'm glad we went.  Though it was sometimes difficult to hear (due to culturally acceptable talking during performances) and see (due to the lack of stadium-style theater - it is a teahouse after all), the performers truly gave us a taste of traditional Chinese entertainment.  We saw everything from Kung Fu fighters to screeching opera singers, to a girl changing masks so quickly it seemed impossible.

All in all, it was a wonderful weekend.  This land is truly amazing, and I am so fortunate to see another part of this beautiful world and it's lovely people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I can't believe you were at all these places. They really do exist outside of pictures. Thanks for sharing. Keep those pictures coming.

Love 'ya
Pam E.

Sept 18 Blog

August 26 Blog Video