Monday, March 23, 2009

All Play and No Work (Okay, a little bit of work...)

Well, after about 7 hours of airtime on Saturday (March 21), I arrived safely in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia for spring break. Oh, I mean I arrived for the teachers’ conference. Yeah, that’s it. ☺

Actually, it should be said that my administration encourages us to “subsidize” our spring break by attending the Eastern Asia Region of Overseas Schools (EARCOS) conference. So, I’ll kick in a bit of my own earnings, but I really tip my hat to my school for footing most of the bill for my 5-star resort at the beach! It is gorgeous.



Though pre-conference sessions begin on Tuesday, the actual conference doesn’t officially start until Thursday.

So, Shannon and I spent all of Sunday relaxing by the Olympic-size pool, even swimming a few hundred for some exercise. Then we enjoyed the complimentary snacks and drinks at the club lounge. (Okay, so they’re not exactly complimentary; we paid a bit more to have breakfast and the snacks/drinks included each day.)

Today we began our scuba dive certification course – a total of 3 days and a minimum of 4 dives. Soooo exciting!!! While the entire first day was all videos, quizzes, and class work, tomorrow begins our water time!

Unlike many PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) courses, our “confined” water experience will be in shallow open water instead of a pool. This gives us the safety of the shallow water combined with the opportunity to see fish and turtles during training! I can’t wait…

2 comments:

Techinstructor said...

Sounds like great fun. Enjoy!

Laura said...

What amazing experiences you're having!!! Remember that conference we went to our first years teaching... that was fun- I can't even imagine the fun that you are having there! Miss you! HUGS!
Laura

Sept 18 Blog

August 26 Blog Video